Purpose: To plan and implement communications, education. mission opportunities and fellowship activities for the youth (junior high, high school and young adults) of Westminster which reinforce and support Christian values and ideals.
Hours: The position is part-time, 10 hours per week. Regular hours include Sunday mornings for supervision of youth group education and fellowship. Other hours may vary dependent on youth group mission work and fellowship events.
Education and Experience:
- Demonstrated Christian character and commitment in daily life and the ability to articulate a personal faith journey.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in leading youth activities, preferably church youth activities.
- A college degree in a related field such as teaching, counseling, social work, etc. is desirable.
- Ability to organize programs and activities and to activate responsibilities with a minimum of supervision and follow-up.
- Experience recruiting, training and coordinating an active core of volunteers, helpful.
- High standards in attitude, outlook, and morals, with an awareness of the importance of example. ENTHUSIASM!!
General Job Responsibilities:
- Schedule volunteers to serve as Sunday School teachers and serve as backup if needed.
- Support the Sunday School teachers with curriculum and supplies.
- Moderate a quarterly meeting of the Sunday School teachers to discuss challenges and opportunities.
- Develop and implement an annual schedule of youth mission opportunities and fellowship events that includes one activity per month.
- Coordinate the activities with church committee ministries and with community.
- Recruit parents and members of the congregation to serve as activity leaders and assistants.
- Participate in youth activities/events to get acquainted with the youth and parents.
- Encourage the youth and young adults to serve in ongoing mission and ministries of the church to make them more visible to and involved with the congregation.
- Communicate with parents and youth via a monthly email announcing upcoming activities.
- Maintain regular and announced office hours for purposes of record keeping and general maintenance of correspondence, contacts, and availability.
- Coordinate with appropriate staff and leaders to help handle and solve issues and problems
- Research, organize and implement an annual mission trip for the youth.
- Recruit a volunteer leader to oversee fundraisers which support the summer youth mission trip. Assist in recruiting volunteers to help with the fundraising.
- Recruit and organize chaperones and other volunteers as needed for the operation and implementation of the mission trip.
- Ensure that all compliance documents are updated, distributed, and adhered to by all involved parties (copyright licensing, background checks on volunteers and staff, etc.).
- Represent the youth ministry with the church staff and church Discipleship Committee.
If you are interested, please send your resume to Reverend Jon Hauerwas.